We’re excited to release Ghostery version 2.0.3. Notes on what’s in this release, including a fix for the bug that was preventing Firefox from exiting gracefully, are below. We also want to share some details about our new home as part of Better Advertising, in case you missed the announcement a few weeks ago.
All your Ghostery data is safe, exactly the same as it was before.
Better Advertising is a compliance platform; not an advertising network or behavioral targeting firm. Our mission is to promote trust online by powering tools for transparency, accountability and ultimately, individual control over how data is collected and used. Better Advertising is developing notice and choice tools for online advertisers. As well as, cross industry monitoring tools, geared towards organizations invested in ensuring the industry lives up to the obligations of the self-regulatory program as outlined by the US Federal Trade Commission.
Here’s what you can count on from Ghostery as part of Better Advertising:
- Ghostery data will never be used for advertising purposes. Better Advertising’s services are built from the ground up to specifically avoid collecting any type of data that could be used for behavioral advertising.
- Better Advertising also publicly pledges never to use any data it collects for advertising. For more on these commitments, please check out Better Advertising’s Mission Statement and Privacy Center .
- Ghostery will remain free and non-commercial
- All existing Ghostery features will be preserved as they are today
- Ghostery will deliver new features more quickly in order to give users even more control over their privacy online
For more on why Ghostery and Better Advertising coming together is good news for all concerned, check out the announcements from David Cancel, Ghostery’s creator and from Colin O’Malley, one of the founders of Better Advertising.
What’s New in v. 2.0.3?
- We received your feedback on the bug that was preventing Firefox from exiting properly, and we’re happy to include a fix for that bug in this release. (A big thank you to each one of you who worked with us in testing the patch!)
- You’ll also note a change to the Ghostery logo. While we’re staying true to the spirit of the ghost, we’ve made a few aesthetic adjustments.
- We’ve made some performance enhancements on top of this as well and are looking forward to feedback on your new & improved experience.
Please visit the Ghostery web site once you try on the new release for size. We’ll be revamping the site and the add-on based on your continued feedback .
We look forward to a long lasting relationship with all our Ghostery users ensuring that you always have control over your privacy! Feel free to contact me — email@example.com — with your questions and concerns. As Ghostery’s community manager, I’m looking forward to getting to know you, and to being a part of this community.
Also, feel free to reach out to Better Advertising’s founders Scott Meyer and Colin O’Malley if you have more questions about Ghostery’s new home.