Ghostery for Firefox v2.8.2 is out! The first thing you’ll notice is your newer, prettier options panel:
Notice how nothing’s crossed out, and there’s no checkmarks to start blocking trackers. This is because I’ve whitelisted onthemedia.org, the site I’m currently on. Once you click “Edit Blocking Options,” however…
…and the boxes appear. In this new panel, you now have the option to turn tracking on by tracker and unwhitelist onthemedia.org completely. Notice that you can also pause blocking in the lower lefthand corner of the box if you’d like to reload the page and have blocking turned off for that instance. If the new panel weirds you out, we also provided the ability to keep the old one hanging around. Just go into Ghostery’s advanced options and check the box.
We also tweaked our latest big feature addition, click-to-play. Before, when you clicked the Ghosty replacement on common social buttons and such, it would trigger the page to reload with just that button available. Now, it loads the content in place without breaking your user experience. Pretty nifty. You can download the latest version of Ghostery for Firefox here [LINK], and see the full list of changes below.
Ghostery for Firefox v2.8.2
- New panel UI for Ghostery.
- Fixed issue with reappearing toolbar Ghostery icon.
- Click-to-play optimization: inline replacement of common scripts like Twitter Button, Facebook Like, etc.
- Click-to-play purple box and UI box corrected listing.
- Click-to-play now toggles cookies as well as trackers when allowing through click-to-play UI.
- Removed DOM mutation scanning for this release.
- Update system now checks for version file before downloading the massive update
- Added the toggle for new panel in options under Advanced -> Display Options.