GhostRankers: Thanks to you, the Internet is now a much more transparent place.
We are happy to announce that Ghostery is now the technology that allows the Better Business Bureau to keep tabs on companies that collect data on users as they browse. You can check out their press release here and read about it in the Wall Street Journal here.
Here’s how it works:
1) Ghostery users opt into our anonymous GhostRank panel
2) We aggregate the anonymous info on companies that Ghostery tracks
3) We send that info off to the BBB
4) They monitor companies to make sure they are meeting a set of standards for privacy
5) If those companies aren’t compliant with the standards, the BBB asks them to be. If they don’t, the BBB refers them to the government.
So essentially, you guys rock. We wouldn’t be able to do this without you!
If you have any questions about Ghostery and the BBB, you can always email us.